This renovation began in November 2018 and ran for a full 10 months - during this time, and due to the fact that not one part of the building was left untouched, the clients placed their furniture and belongings in storage and moved into a rental property while the work was carried out.
This renovation, extension and refurbishment included two two-storey extensions, a complete re-wire and re-plumb, a new kitchen and bathrooms, and a re-model of the entire inside of the property which required every room being gutted. The client also wanted the already converted loft refurbished and the roof stripped to be re-tiled. Last on the list was to replace all the old UPVC windows and dress the house in hanging tiles.
So in short, this was a very big project and despite the house not being that old, various works had previously been completed over the years of varying degrees of quality, which meant that not only did our order of works need to change, but we had to reconsult with the engineer on several occasions.
Once everything was exposed, and we had the new engineer's specification, we could proceed with a new order of works. The first step was to dig the footings for the two new extensions and start building - given the amount of remodelling that was happening to the existing structure, this was also necessary to support the rest of the work.
While the original plan was to simply strip the tiles from the roof and replace the felt, baton and tiles, because the engineer had essentially condemned the structure which made up the floor of the loft conversion, which obviously formed part of the roof, it all had to come off and be rebuilt.
In order to do this in the latter part of the year, and also taking into account the British weather and its unpredictability, the whole build was covered by a scaffold roof.
During this process and ongoing through the build, we installed some 17 pieces of steel across the three floors as per the engineers specification. A considerable portion of these were due to the remodel and virtually every load bearing wall within the property moving.
With the brick work up, steels in place, new roof finished and windows replaced, we were able to begin on insulation, first fix electrics and plumbing. The property was now 5 bedroom with 4 bathrooms, a cloak room, kitchen and utility room, plus underfloor heating.
From here the job was more run-of-the-mill - plastering, tiling, fitting bathrooms and the kitchen, decorating and completing the outside of the property.
This project was the full refurbishment of a loyal client’s family bathroom suite in their listed manor house. The last work we did for this family was their kitchen, which we won a regional award for in 2017.
The clients had designed the bathroom themselves, with a little help from an interior designer friend of theirs and had a very clear idea of what they wanted to achieve, which was very much the case with the kitchen we completed. They had everything chosen from tiles, units, sanitary ware and the type of shower. Like many of our clients they are a pleasure to work for and their meticulous nature suits the way we work down to the ground. They had chosen a walk-in shower/wet room, a free-standing claw foot bath, double sink unit and concealed cistern/floating toilet. Like the other rooms we have completed for them all the oak was refurbished, ceilings replaced, and everything done to the last detail.
Their house presents us with plenty of obstacles, purely because of its age. The only way to tackle this bathroom was to completely gut the room and remove the bathroom upon bathroom fitted before. This included replacing the wall between the bathroom and the adjoining room as it was just one layer of lath and plaster. Given the age of the building the floor was ridiculously out of level which had to be sorted first – we couldn’t touch the joists and we couldn’t touch the floorboards as they formed the ceiling in the room below. We built a frame and sympathetically levelled the floor. This meant a step into the bathroom was created, so we had to remove and shorten the original oak door to get it to fit. Once we had a level ‘playing field’ we could begin assembling their dream bathroom.
The bathroom boasts all new electrics, lighting and plumbing (including a newly installed pump) to boost the water pressure for their shower. They have a claw foot, free-standing bath under in front of the window with a floor standing mixer tap, plus a concealed cistern, floating toilet. The real feature in this room though is the remote walk-in shower/wet room with contrasting tiles and mosaics. We also made them a shelf for shampoo bottles complete with glass shelf and light, plus a little cupboard next to the toilet for convenient storage. All the oak in the room was refurbished and the ceiling was also stripped out and replaced – a challenge in itself between oaks as old as these.